Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Chivalry Vs. Creepy

So yeah, my little plan of posting hilarious dates on here all the time has failed. I just have no motivation to keep this blog going.

I've been extremely busy lately performing in shows and working hard. Spending 30-60min typing up a date I went on 1 year ago just doesn't appeal to me like I thought it would.

In any case, I'm writing now because the whole reason I started this blog was to express my thoughts on my dating experience and maybe even get some advice back (although having people who actually read this blog would help). And now I'm curious about something.

I believe in the old school of thought and, according to my female friends, I'm one of the few guys they know that act like a true gentleman.

I hold doors open, offer sweaters if cold, let old ladies have my seat on the bus, etc.

However, I've noticed on several occasions with different girls, especially on first dates where they don't know me yet, they get thrown off by my chivalry.

Take for example last night. Was on a date with a girl I met online. It was our second time meeting and we saw a comedy show. I thought it went well.

After the show I walked her to the subway and then she had to go in while I had to take a bus.

Since my bus was actually a block away and I could have easily walked underground to take it, I offered her to walk her to the subway turnstiles.

She looked a bit thrown off and said "no that's ok, let's say out goodbyes here".

So after that encounter, I felt like I came off more needy than gentleman like, and it sucks!

It's happen multiple times. I thought Girls like that stuff but I feel sometimes they misinterpret it. I'm sure a couple of times I never heard back from them because it felt like I was coming off strong.

So I wonder if although my intentions are for good, it may be overkill.

Ladies, what do you think?

2 comments:

stephanie clara said...

It's difficult.
Because for us it's difficult to know.
We are not used to it any more.
Men don't let you step in the elevator first (on the contrary!), they don't let you have the last seat in the bus, they don't let you have the last piece of cake...
the only thing which they regularly do, is taking over heavy things, but that's maybe just because the contrary would make them feel unmanly.



And then secondly there are men who act chivalrous just because they want to get something from you. it's not honest, it's with a second agenda.


So, when you hold the door open for us, we are confused, not for 1 but for 2 reasons.
And then our reaction may not be to bright.
Because let's be honest, if it's true that men have stopped being chivalrous, it's also true that we stopped being thoughtful and honest for some things.
And I also think some women wrongly find it belittling. which is kind of hypocrite, because when it comes to paying dinner, all of the sudden they don't mind if he pays.



But, at least for me, when a man is chivalrous, I like it a lot. It makes me feel special.
And it makes me feel he is special.


Don't know if this makes it any clearer for you...


stephanie

Anonymous said...

Actually, the only reason women find chivalry "creepy" is because so few men do it these days. It arouses suspicion, because men these days simply are not nice unless they are trying to get into your pants.