Sunday, September 7, 2008

Next time, don't tell me!

Tonight I went out with my new friend Concert Girl. I'm calling her that because i met her through craigslist while looking for someone to go to a concert with last month.

Concert Girl is from Germany and is travelling through Canada, staying in My City for 6 months. We've hung out a couple of times so far and she invited me out tonight with a friend of hers, Hot German (named so for obvious reasons) whom she met while travelling recently.

I met them at a cafe and then headed to a bar where we had a few beers. While there a friend of mine, Big Red, sent me a text asking what I was up to. I told him where i was and invited him to join us.

Once we met him we went to a second bar, actually it was more like a lounge and i quite liked the music. The place was packed so we had to squish into a corner. The seating ended up being Hot German and I across from Concert Girl and Big Red.

So, I ended up chatting with Hot German for a while about Australia. Both of us had been and we were sharing our experiences. I noticed that she started to lean into me a bit and was talking into my ear a lot because the place was noisy.

The most I did in return was i placed my arm along the bench behind her, but not actually touching her.

After a while, I get a text message. I check my phone and it's from Big Red from across the table! I casually read my phone and it simply says "She's really into you take her home".

For the life of me I don't understand how others can perceive things like that but I can't. Until then I didn't care if she was or was not into me and i wasn't trying anything. Then Big Red makes me aware and I felt like it just killed the mood for everyone.

What happened next was I texted him back saying that although she may be into me, both of the girls were heading on a road trip tomorrow and had to get up early. His response to that was simply "offer to show her something from your trip to Australia in your house". At this point I was in the bathroom, but when I returned to the table, everyone was quiet, like the secret was out. Then to make matters worse Big Red says "Lets all go to Elwood's! he's go beers!" and I even added "oh yeah and my roommates are gone".

More silence.

Finally the Germans admitted they had to get up early and we left.

Hot German is going straight to another city upon returning here from the road trip so I will never see her again. Meanwhile, I hope Concert Girl still wants to be friends because I think she's cool and fun to hang out with.

The night wasn't as awkward as I may make it sound but I feel like had I not been told someone was into me, I would have acted more natural.

No comments: