Friday, August 29, 2008

The Need for Speed

As usual, I've been behind on my blogging duties. I've been debating about just ending this blog completely, but then exciting enough things tend to happen that make it worthwhile to hang onto this guy for a little bit longer.

So what "exciting" happened recently? No, I didn't get laid... but I did manage to surpass my goal of going on 10 dates, each with a different person.

Yes, you read correctly. In fact, I went on 26 dates all in one night to be in fact!

That's right, I own a time machine.

NO! I went to a speed dating event.

Actually, I found out about it last minute through my brother Ira and he pulled some strings to get me into the event.

It was held in a giant hall rented by the organizers. There were 26 women and about 20 guys (a few times, a female would be left alone at the table).

We were all given numbers and cards. We then sat at a table and had 3 minutes to chat before moving on. at my discretion, I would put down the numbers of women I liked on the card. At the end of the night, the organizers took the cards. Eventually, they go through each card and single out the matches. If you get a match, you'll receive the other person's e-mail address and can set up a real date whenever.

Out of the 26 women I met, I can safely put them into 4 categories:
1. People I was I thought were cute/interested in
2. People who totally had no interest in m/wanting to be there but were dragged by friends
3. People I just wasn't attracted to at all
4. People I know from before hand (but none I knew well, all acquaintances)

I'd say they were almost all equal amounts. I ended up putting down about 6 or 7 numbers but will be surprised if I get more than 1 or 2 matches.

the tricky thing was knowing when to write down the number, if interested. What i ended up doing which may have looked bad was this:

Say, I was at table #22 and I liked girl #22, I would want to write #22 on my card but not in front of her. So, at the end of the 3 minutes, I would get up say good bye and go sit at the next table, which in this example, is table # 23.

At table #23, instead of glancing back to the previous table to see what number it was, I would look at the current number (here #23) and minus 1 (hence #22)., and mark it down.

I realized later on that this could mislead the person I'm with into thinking that immediately before even saying hi or introducing myself, that I wrote down their number right away.

As for the people themselves, there were a bunch of teachers, doctors (or med students) a couple of psychologists, a few people in marketing/fashion/design and a couple of individuals in different jobs (cosmetician, watch store owner).

I got along very well with some but it went by all too fast and will only know which were interested when I found out who I got matched with.

I won't get the results until probably later this weekend. However, there was one girl there whom I had met once at a party two years ago. Since then I saw her a couple of times when I worked at Old Navy last year.

The last time I spoke to her she had come to Old Navy while i was working the fitting rooms and had asked me to come to her birthday party (that being the 2nd or 3rd time i"d ever met her). Being who I am, I convinced myself with made up reasons why I shouldn't/couldn't go.

She seemed happy to see me last night though and I ended up talking her last before the evening ended.

When I got home, she left me a message on facebook (we were already "friends") saying "Thanks for the date!" so I casually wrote back "You're welcome. Would you like to go on a real one?".

To this she first said "sure could be fun" and then a few hours later wrote back again feeling that she may not have come across interested and changed her answer to "YEAH! I'd love to!"

So that's positive I guess. I got her number and I'm to call her this weekend to make plans

Either way I think it's cool I got a date before the results of the event even came out.

The only freaky thing about this whole thing is that not only do I have competition, I'm also competing again my brother! I told him we need to compare notes before we start calling for dates. I definitely don't want to date a girl my brother is after.

No comments: