Monday, October 5, 2009

The engagement party

Well, since no one gave me any feedback on my dilemma on inviting someone to be my date for my co-worker's engagement party, I decided to put matters into my own hands.

I originally asked one girl I thought would be interested to come with me (whom I know through imrpov) but she couldn't make it out that night. Even though I felt bad asking someone else from improv (especially since she's good friends with the first girl), I did it anyways. It went something like this:

Elwood: Hey Friend, I tried calling you the other day but you didn't pick up. Is this your number?
Friend: Yes it is. Why did you call me?
Elwood: My boss' son, who is also my coworker is getting married and...
Friend: Oh! I don't do weddings, sorry.
Elwood's brain: "I don't do weddings"? What does that mean...?
Elwood: Oh... OK... but it's not a wedding it's an engagement party...
Friend: Yeah but I don't do make up for weddings.
(Now is probably a good time to mention that my friend happens to be a make up artist)
Elwood: Make up? I'm not asking you to do make up , I'm asking you to be my date!
Friend (beaming with joy): Oh! Yeah for sure I'll come!

She was the best thing that could ever have happened.

After a quick false start involving me showing up at the restaurant and waiting outside for 10 minutes only to find her coming out to get me after waiting inside for 10 minutes, we proceeded inside. There were a lot of people there and waitresses walking around with platters of food, and the bar was open the whole night. A few of my coworkers showed up but I ended up spending almost the whole night with my friend chatting. It was great. I didn't feel obliged to sit with my coworkers which is good because I didn't want to really talk to them anyways, and or have my friend feel left out.

Once the music started she wanted to dance, and dance we did. She was really good a well. We were having such a good time, we ended up staying later than any of my coworkers 9except for the groom to be of course).

I thought I'd bolt out of there by 8:30pm but we had such a blast together we stayed until 10:30pm. By then we left, and took the subway towards our part of town.

We said our goodbyes and I told he sincerely that we should start hanging out more often. I hope we do, she seems like someone I could really become friends with.

No comments: