Friday, January 15, 2010

Am I shallow?

I got home late from spending time at my parents place for supper. I'm tired. Have to work tomorrow. As I'm getting things ready for tomorrow, I see a friend contacting me on MSN. We start talking and she's very nervous and upset with what is happening in Haiti. I don't follow the news that much but I heard about he earthquake and I'm sorry about it but that's all I'm really doing. I'm not grabbing my passport and jumping on a plane to help anyone. So I start to feel a bit guilty. Then my friend starts sending me horrible photos of what is happening there and I started to feel horrified and sad.

All of a sudden I just wanted to be alone. So I told my friend I need to have quiet time and go to sleep. She was confused about what that meant so I simply said that I need to be alone and that she should have a goodnight.

Then, I receive one final MSN message from her stating that I'm upsetting her because she always listens to me talk about stuff but I never listen to her. This isn't the first time that she's accused me of that, and I will admit sometimes it's true, but now I feel like shit.

I totally don't believe that this time I was ignoring her. I have this weird thing with MSN. When I'm on MSN I'm always doing something else. I never go on MSN to just chat. It's a background thing for me. I never want to have serious talks on there, yet this one friend always brings up real deep conversations and then get upset when I sound distant or don't respond to her right away.

It's beyon even apologizing to her this time. I think it's best i just leave her be for a while.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Not shallow at all. Or maybe you are, in which case I am too. I really detest having deep and meaningful conversations over msn. Unless you're face to face (or even over the phone) it's impossible to really engage in the topic.
And Im of the generation that's supposed to love msn.