Sunday, January 31, 2010

Indie Rock Girl

instead of having my normal hectic Sunday of a 2 hour workshop, followed by a second 2 hour workshop followed by a 2 hour performance, resulting in my coming home at around 11:30pm, I decided to take it easy tonight.

I've been feeling a bit under the weather over the past couple of days, most likely from having a stressful week and figured better to rest than push my body.

About 2 weeks ago, I had responded at a craigslist ad from a girl looking for a concert buddy. We'll call her Indie Rock Girl (or IRG). IRG has lived in My City for almost 2 years for school and is leaving in May to go back home in the U.S. She posted it in the Strictly Platonic section stating she was looking for a friend but also in brackets "or something more".

I figured since she's only here for a short time, no harm in meeting her. In the worst case, I'll make a new friend.

I've hung out with her a few times now over the past 2 weeks and I'm cross about my feelings for her. My first impression was that she is quiet and very plain looking. I'll admit she's not the prettiest girl I've ever met, but definitely not the ugliest either. She;s somewhere in the middle. Her personality, on the other had is amazing. She was pretty shy at our first encounter but she seems a lot more open to talk to me now that we hung out a bit. She's also very quirky in a way that she sees things different and I find that cute. For example, we had coffee the other day and IRG asked me if I've ever seen someone with a peg leg before. I was a bit confused by that but she continued to explain that she saw a foot print followed by a round hole in the snow earlier that day. It was most likely someone with a cane or a crutch (and perhaps one leg) but I thought it was awesome she had this imagination or was joking that it could be a peg leg (maybe a pirate?).

I ended up spending most the evening with her tonight. We had coffee and then I invited her over to hang out. We played a board game and then she taught me a game of cards I'd never played before. It was cool because it all happened by coincidence. I had called her to ask her something and then we got into talking and I discovered she'd be in the same area as I would later in the day so we agreed to meet up. She told me later on that she normally doesn't have her phone on but when I had called her she had forgot to turn it off and she only heard it because it rang just as she was picking up her bag.

My major problem is a feel so scatter-brained about this whole thing. I think she's really cool and am really enjoying the fact that I now have someone I can hang out with on a regular basis. However, part of me is hoping something else will come out of this. I'm a shy guy and she comes across as an even shyer person. My strategy of hoping that the other person makes a move first will never work here.

I don't think I'll ever be able to tell if she's interested in me as more than a friend or just being shy. I can't tell yet if she's looking for more than just friends either. right now I see that shes just enjoying spending time with someone new. She doesn't seem to have a lot of close friends and she doesn't really enjoy living in My City anymore.

Meanwhile I'm afraid of doing anything. I like her company and since she's here for a short time, I wouldn't want to ruin it by making a move and finding otu she just wants to be friends. On the other hand, she's here for a short time and it wouldn't hurt to try and make a move. If she's not interested, well it didnt matter much because she'll be leaving soon anyways.

In any case, I'm going to just wait it off a bit. Have fun regardless. The only ehard thing is making sure i don't spend my time with her, while stuck in my head. I gat that way sometimes. When I'm with a girl adn I'm having thoughts (not dirty thoughts, well not all the time, haha) about doing soemthing (like lean in and kiss, put an arm around them, tickle them, etc.) and then end up not really paying much attention to them or even trying to do anything about it.

I'm going to wait it out and see what happens. In the meantime, I had invited IRG to come watch the LOST premiere with my friends and I and she accepeted.

So we'll just have to see.

1 comment:

Emma said...

She sounds like a really cool girl. Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.