Saturday, November 28, 2009

My Beef with Internet Dating

I've been browsing Internet dating sites for the past few years. That's even how I met Wendy. I wouldn't say I'm a pro but I know how a lot of things work and have built up a few pet peeves that I feel like ranting about right now. In no particular order:

Per Peeve #1
Profiles that are super vague.

So many people will write a short (or even long) profile that list very basic things. For example, something along the lines of: "I'm looking for a guy who loves to laugh, going out and is funny. I like to laugh go out and be funny. I like music, movies and going to concerts. If you're interested contact me!"That's great and all but I find it makes it really hard to contact that person.It gives me little insight of what kind of person she may be and then I'm probably asking the same super vague questions every other guy is asking ("what movies do you like?").

Pet Peeve #2
People responding to messages in an vague way and not adding to it

This bugs me even more! The reason being, most the time, as a guy, I read profiles, come across one that seems interesting and I send a message. I try to keep them short, I ask a question or two and leave a comment or two about myself related to something in their profile. For example if someone wrote they went travelling to Japan, I'd ask a question about it and then say that I live in Australia for a year and maybe end with "have you travelled anywhere else?". However, if all they do is answer the question (ex to the above: "Yes"), then what was the point in even answering?! Especially when it's after 4 or 5 messages. It happened to me recently where I had to keep imitating contact and the girl would only answer my question or leave a comment with no room to continue, so it's like starting over all over again.

Pet Peeve #3
People who put up pictures that are useless

You have the option to put up a picture on your profile. A picture can make or break if someone will contact you or not. Some people will put up 1 great picture, some people put up a whole bunch of pictures. What bugs me is when people put up like 8 pictures but every single one is either blurry, from afar, in some weird angle, etc. If you're trying so hard for me not to see your face properly then that gives me the impression you're not comfortable with how you look and that turns me off.

Pet Peeve #4
People who only put up pictures of them with someone else

I noticed recently that a few girls who also may not be confident of their looks, will put up a bunch of pictures of them with one of their girlfriends. In one profile, every single friend I saw in the picture I thought was way prettier than the actual girl who's profile it was. What are they trying to do, confuse the viewer? If anything I'd put up pictures of me with someone less attractive than me.

Pet Peeve #5
People who obviously lie about their weight

I understand that weight is a big issue for people especially women. I really admire those who are not afraid to put down that they are "a few extra pounds" or "big and tall/BBW". They are being honest. I think the option of "prefer not to say" is pointless. As soon as I see that I get the sense that either they are overweight or are uncomfortable with their body type. No skinny girl will put that on their profile. It sounds mean but it's the truth. Then there are those that I plainly see from their profile that they are very large, big and tall, BBW, etc. but they list themselves as skinny. I can see your picture and I know you're lying! What's the point. It's a whole different ball game if you lie about your size and don't put up a picture. It seems most people just put down average to be safe. To me average can means anything because everyone seems to have a different idea as to what the average is.

Well that's all I can think of for now. Please take all of this in stride. I'm not perfect, but at least I'm honest in my profile.

No comments: