Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I don't do yelling

Today I found out a did a blunder at work and got yelled at pretty badly by one of the partners of the company. I admit it was something that I did (although unknowingly and by accident) but it is the fact that I got yelled at and threatened to almost be fired that got me upset.

And when upset I cry.

Thankfuly, I waited until I got to my office.

I never did well with yelling growing up. My parents rarely yelled at me but I would always get upset if they did. I hated it.

I myself rarely yell (I can't remember any time that I realy did). I get "mad" which is me just bitching mostly but I've never raisd my voice and told someone off (or threatened to fire them).

It's a fear I have with being in a relationship. I managed to date wendy a whole year and not really have an argument with her. She yelled at me a few times for getting her mad but I never said anything back or yelled at her. I'd just calmly apoligize and figure a way to fix it. I'm afraid that I'lll meet someone who will yell at me and I won't know how to respond.

My brother Jason takes arguments really badly. To me an argument is when Person A voices their opinion (usually loudly) about something and then Person B voices their opinion about the same thing (usually the opposite answer). However, Jason just brings up old stuff. For example, if his wife is complaining to him about the glass being half full, a proper response to the argument would be "The glass is half empty!". Instead he'll say somethign like "You're always complaining! Why are you tryig to control me? Blah blah blah".

I;mglad to know I"m not like that. I'm a bit more like my brother Ira who also tries to calmly end an argument but then he is also extreme in that he'll do stuff to totally avoid the perchance of an argument. going back to the same example, he'd just avoid buying a glass to begin with. No glass, no argument of it being half full or not.

I guess I just need to work on voicing my opinion when I get into a situation with a future girlfirend.

1 comment:

JRM said...

I am the same way with anger, it makes my eyes water. I hate it. Pisses me off which just makes it worse. So I used to avoid it as well. I've worked on donning an icy calm facade in order to state my opinion without crying. But I also find that I'll just agree with whatever the other person is wanting in order to end the argument and then totally regretting THAT... Obviously, I'm still a work in progress. ;-)