Saturday, February 7, 2009

Date #7 - Older Chick

About 4 weeks ago, before I got sick, I realized that I every time I had a show to perform on a Friday or Saturday night, by the time the show would end (about 12am), the night would be pretty much over. However, I'd also be in the heart of My City's bar scene. The comedy club is sandwiched in between 2 bars and is on a street over from the main bar street.

So I decided for that one Friday night, to put up an ad on Craigslist looking for someone to go out for a beer or coffee after my show. I didn't mention anything about the fact I was in a show (I thought I'd save that card for later) but simply said I would be in the area attending something and would be free after 11:30pm-12am.

No one replied to it and i ended up just coming home after the show as always.

The next day, however, I get a response from someone saying that they only saw the ad now and was wondering if I was free that night. Unfortunately I wasn't but after exchanging e-mails, pictures and me scoping her out on facebook (just to be safe), we arranged to go for a beer the following Tuesday. It was also after we agreed on a day and time that I realized she is 5 years older than me, hence Older Chick.

That date never happened because I got sick that week. I cancelled on her and she was cool about it. She even told me that recently she started a group through craigslist where random people she met online come over to her apartment and jam. Knowing that I play guitar she really wanted me to come to the next jam session.

I thought that was cool because even if she's not my type perhaps I'll get to meet new people through her. We also arranged to go out that weekend.

Saturday came around and I was healthy and feeling good. We had arranged to go to a bar that makes their own beer. Older Chick particularly likes that place because it has alcoholic cider.

I was at a friend's place for supper and was running late because I had to pretty much travel across downtown to get to the bar. I called Older Chick to let her know and she insisted i stay where I was and she came and picked me up!

That was pretty cool.

We then drove back to the other side of downtown to the bar. Inside we grabbed a table and chatted for about an hour.

She seems pretty cool but I could tel right away I'm not really into her. i think the fact she's older and that she smokes really turned me off but I still had fun talking to her none the less.

She looked good and healthy and told me she had recently lost 50 pounds! What an accomplishment.

After about an hour and half she got really tired and wanted to call it a night. That was fine by me. I was getting tired too and also had plans to go meet my brother Ira at a party.

So I'm still on the search but hey, I'm getting practice!

--

As a side note, around the time I was getting e-mails from Older Chick, I found an ad on craigslist in the women seeking men section about someone looking for an "Adventurous, Smart, Funny, etc." guy.

I decided to respond to the ad and made a list of all the characteristics she was looking for with an explanation of how I am those things.

Sure enough a couple of days later I get an e-mail from her saying that she thinks i"m interesting and funny and told me a bit about herself.

She's a film producer from My City, she likes a bunch of the same stuff I do and she got out of a long term relationship so she's not looking for anything complicated, but if I was still interested she wouldn't mind meeting up.

I replied to her e-mail and then nothing. Hadn't heard from her. So I just shrugged it off.

4 weeks later I get an e-mail from her saying she's in the Yukon for 2 weeks visiting a friend but has not forgotten about me and would like to go for a beer or coffee when she gets back.

So, a girl I have never met, was thinking about me in the Yukon.

Cool.

Let's see what happens with this...

3 comments:

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

This is GREAT! Practice does make perfect!I'm excited about this new girl....
and maybe Older Chick has a friend? Networking is always a good thing!

I can tell your getting more confident, and comfortable about t he dating game! way to go!

slopmaster said...

this is hilarious man. I like reading your adventures on internet dating land. Good luck man. I have to say though, just shag the cougar rotten, she'll teach you a few things.

harper & beatrix said...

just found this blog. it's cute, but i hope you realize that the hard part is after the 10 dates with 10 girls part. the hard part is finding one girl for one million dates.

my friend told me it's free weekend on eharmony this weekend (you know, valentine's day weekend). you should try it. it's less sketch than craigslist.

~beatrix