Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Halloween 2014 - Day 1

I originally planned on writing about my experience with Katie to help me get over her and then stop. However, I think i may continue for a while as long as I'm inspired and have relevant things to talk about.

Well this past weekend was full of relevant material. So let's start with day one of my Halloween experience in 2014.

As mentioned before, I LOVE dressing up for Halloween. Been a passion of mine for the last 10 years.  Every year spending weeks creating my costume. Materials are usually cardboard and tape but I've upgraded to adding fabric to the mix too. This year was no exception where I dressed up as a popular cartoon character from my childhood.

In My City, there's a guy that puts on geeky and interesting events and one of them is a Slow Dance Party. At a normal party, its usually dance music with a slow song sprinkled in here or there. This is the opposite. The main music is slow dance music.

You're encouraged to always be dancing with a partner. It may sound creepy to dance with a total stranger but it's not. That's what I love about this event. The organizer makes sure it's friendly for everyone. There are volunteers to make sure you're not just sitting on the side, if you're shy to ask someone to dance. Also it's open to all orientations, so there will be guys dancing with guys, queer with straight, etc.

I've gone before (it happens 2-3 times a year) but this one was on the 30th so costumes were encouraged.

I was supposed to go with some friends but they bailed last minute. I almost didn't go myself as I had a headache but I spent so much time on my Halloween costume I wanted to wear it and test it out.

The event started at 9pm. I got there around 9:30pm and only stayed an hour because I had to work the next day.

I was worried it would be dead until around the time I left but surprisingly there was a decent crowd. I also enjoyed the fact most people were dressed up in cool costumes.

I ended up dancing and meeting a bunch of nice people. It's like a meet and greet because you end up chatting the entire 3-4 min you're together. It's always stuff like "what's your name?where are you from? Are you a student or working?" And for this time "nice costume" or "what are you dressed as?".

I'm not shy to ask people to dance myself (in fact I've volunteered before), so I would approach people on the side. There was a cute girl, dressed as a princess, sitting down, her friends all dancing. I asked her to dance and she said maybe later. Not an unusual response, so I went to get a drink instead.

I danced for a bit longer and then had to leave. As I was saying my goodbyes to a friend, that cute girl from before approached me and asked me to dance. I had time for one more, so why not?

We danced and chatted and it was nice. I learned she likes dressing up and making her own costumes and goes to comicon dressed up (I do too!).

When the song ended we both thanked each other but the way she said goodbye... It lingered a bit. Like she wanted to say something or wanted me to. I awkwardly said goodbye and walked away.

I said my goodbyes to a few people and changed out of my costume. The entire time feeling I may have missed my chance on something. As I exited the bathroom, I saw her sitting down alone again. Now was my chance.

I approached her and said it was nice chatting but too short and asked her out for a drink.

She stared back at me for a couple of seconds and then said yes. We swapped numbers.

As I was leaving for real, when I got to the door, she had come running after me. She was worried she gave me the wrong number because my text hadn't arrived yet. Just then it did. Said goodbye again and I walked home.

I'm TERRIBLE at signals and could have easily done nothing. I'm also super shy. However, she gave me her number! And then made sure I had it. This isn't behavior of someone trying to blow me off. It was a nice feeling when walking home.

No comments: