Thursday, July 9, 2009

Networking

Ira: "You should totally go. it'll be a great way to make new contacts, possible leads for a new job. Plus there will probably tons of girls".

What Ira was referring to was a networking cocktail party that was being held for young people to network and swap contacts.

I managed to skip work early (6pm - that's early for me as of late) and grabbed a bus to head to the bar where the event was being held. On the way I decided to stop off at home (2 blocks away) and change into something a bit more "professional" looking.

Twenty minutes of ironing a grey buttoned shirt and gray cotton pants later, I showed up at the designated bar.

There were actually a lot of people. A few cute girls as well.

I managed to talk to a whole bunch of people. We were given name tag holders to put our business card inside. Instead of putting the one from work, I put in the one for my comedy troupe. I thought it was a good move since once someone heard I was a comedian, their eyes would light up. I also did it because I actually designed the logo for that card where as my work card was done by someone else.

After being there for about an hour, I was chatting with 2 girls I vaguely knew and then I glanced over my shoulder and saw someone that looked somewhat familiar but I couldn't think at the time of who she was or how I knew her.

Even as this mysterious person came towards me to talk to me, for a the first couple of seconds I still wasn't 100% sure who I was about to talk to until suddenly my brain woke up and started working again.

It was Rock Chick.

She was there also looking to make new connections related to work.

I'm so glad I didn't flinch or ask her who she was, but subconsciously figured it out before she could even notice.

We chatted a bit and then she, unknowing to her, gave me an awesome excuse not to hover around her. She mentioned a guy who was looking for someone with my experience and suggested I go hunt him down.

About 30 minutes later, Ira was dying to leave, so I went up to Rock Chick to say goodbye. She had actually chatted with Ira and found out he was my brother but he did not know yet that she was Rock Chick.

As Ira and I began to leave, she offered to walk me to the door. I asked her if we were still on for Friday and she said yes. Then I gave her a double kiss on the cheek (very common custom where I live) and I left the bar.

Until Friday!

No comments: