Saturday, February 9, 2008

Elwood's Dating Stories 4 - University: Psycho Girl Part 1

In 2000 I started University. I was entering the college life without ever having kissed someone, been in a relationship or had sex. I also didn't go out much or drink.

Within the first year I befriended a group of good guys and we'd go out almost every weekend and hit up some bars. I eventually started going out more and more and even got involved with a committee that organized parties for my faculty.

It's through that that I had my first kiss.

Although I can't remember if it happened before or after that kiss, I do recall hanging out with some friends outside on campus when all of a sudden a bunch of people in a FROSH group came barreling towards us and all at once said excitedly that they were in a scavenger hunt and needed a picture of someone kissing a stranger.

Next thing I know it, some chick kissed me and ran off.

My friends all laughed and said I got kiss-raped.

So for the first couple of years at University I pretty much avoided any drama with girls. In my third year however things changed.

Thats when I met psycho girl.

I have mentioned her here and there throughout my blog already but I figure nows as a good a time as ever to give the whole story. I was so obsessed with it that I told everyone this story for up to year after it ended.

Basically I worked all summer in a lab at my University. During that time I met Psycho girl. She worked in the basement of the building.

She quickly joined my group of fellow co-workers who would hang out at lunch and sometimes go out after work.

I had a crush on her pretty quickly. She was tall, average weight and had long blond hair. I thought she was so hot.

We started to hand out a lot. I would go visit her at her lab and she'd be happy to see me.

About a month after meeting her, she had ended a 3 year relationship with this guy she lived with. She had told me that the day he asked her out, he came to class with some roses, then they dated for 3 years.

I didn't piece together in my head that she just finished a three year relationship and only thought "she's single and ready for the taking!".

had devised a plan to buy her a rose but because I didn't want her to think I was looking for something serious, I thought at the time if I bought her a fake rose that would make things better. And to make things even weirder, I thought it'd be a good idea to give it to her on my birthday.

I ended up getting really drunk and hitting on her quite strongly. She didn't like it so much and eventually she left. I never had a chance to give her the rose because I was way too shy.

About a week later I cornered her at her lab and gave her the rose. She laughed it off and thought it was a joke to which I played the "yes, that's it! It's a joke! Ha ha ha..... I going to go now..." card.

She soon caught on and told me she wasn't interested.

Fair enough. I was being so selfish and not thinking what she was going through. So I made it clear to myself to only be friends with her.

Things were good. We hung out a lot and flirted a bit but it was fun because we were just friends.
Then things got weird when a mutual friend got obsessed with Psycho Girl. He wouldn't leave her alone and looking back now, she totally used me to get him off her back.

On her birthday, she held my hand in front of him to make him jealous and it worked. The only shitty thing was I was crashing at his place and I didn't want to be stranded on the street. Luckily I calmed him down and reassured him I was just friends with Psycho Girl (which was the truth).

My favorite moment with Psycho Girl that summer was when we sat on the grass outside in a park right next to the spot where a Radiohead concert was playing. She didn't know their music, but we chatted and I got to talk to her about the music and the band.

Our friendship continued into the fall semester at University. I'd call her sometimes and invite her to my friends' parties. We'd bump into each other at school and hang out at lunch with our mutual friends. It was a lot of fun.

Finally one fall evening, I had an awful day at school. I accidentally erased my lab report and had to rewrite the whole thing. I had called her to see if she wanted to go for a beer that I so needed. She said yes and we ended up at my favorite bar.

We had a couple of beers and talked. Then she had admitted after knowing her 5 months that she had a crush on me. That she thought I was cute and that she had wanted to kiss me way back at the Radiohead concert.

Deep down inside I was thrilled! I couldn't believe I was hearing this gorgeous girl who I thought was out of my league tell me she actually liked me!

Then she said "I don't want a relationship. I just want a fling".

I actually convinced myself I could handle that.

I would soon find out that I definitely could not handle that...

(to be continued)

No comments: