Sunday, December 7, 2008

Last Night Was Interesting A.K.A I Worry Too Much

Last night friend of mine invited me out to his friend's birthday party. I had had a long day of Christmas shopping and after a short nap, ended up bowling with RM1 and her friends. Afterwards, I called up my buddy and he told me the address to the party.

The party was quite fun. I saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in a very long time, including the birthday girl.

At the party, I ended up chatting with a bunch of people I have never met. Among them were two girls, lets call them Concert Girl and Catch 22. Concert girl talked to me about a lot of shows she went to. Catch 22 talked to me about a lot of books she read and enjoyed, including Catch 22. Both of them were friends from a long time ago, lost touch and reconnected in grad school at My University in My City.

I'll be quite honest but I thought Catch 22 to be quite cute. She was tall, thin, nerdy looking with glasses, had interesting things to say and seemed interested in what I had to say.

We ended up chatting for a while but I had ran out of beer, so I went to get another bottle. From experience, as much as I wanted to talk to her all night, I didn't feel it necessary to hover around her all night, so I took the opportunity of getting a beer and moved around the party.

I realized I was taking a chance because shortly after another guy was chatting with her. However, I didn't go to the party in hopes of finding a girlfriend. I went to go and have a good time. So that's what I tried to do.

After chatting with a bunch of other different people, a few more beers and even a couple of shots of vodka and fisherman's friends (don't' ask), I ended up talking to Catch 22 and Concert Girl again.

Out of the blue they kind of moved back a few steps and started talking to themselves in a sort of whisper. I can't remember exactly what they were saying because a) I was a bit drunk and b) I was trying not to eavesdrop.

From what I gathered, one of them was asking the other one if it was too soon to start meeting other guys or was it ok to hit on guys at the party or something. Now I probably shouldn't have opened my mouth, but I did, and I can't remember what I said but after prying just a little (with a curious air, not trying to be rude), I found out that Catch 22 had been in a relationship that had ended a few months ago.

Now here's the interesting thing. Concert Girl didn't hover over her like a protective mother. She actually walked away to do something or talk to someone else, and let Catch 22 fill me in with a bit of her relationship history.

Basically, I found out, that Catch 22 dated a guy for about 8 months but he moved away and either he, or she didn't want to continue the relationship as a long distance thing. I think it was her decision (at least I hope it was).

Now most guys who go to a party and see a girl they think they would be interested in, would most likely chat them up about anything and then eventually try to get their number (or now a days facebook contact) and further more try to get into their pants.

Me, on the other hand, ended up talking to her about her situation and gave a helping-hand kind of advice.

I don't know if that was a god or bad thing. I didn't' get to personal, and just gave her a little example of how I know from second hand experiences that long distance relationships are tough and completely different from normal every day to day relationships. However, I may have been trudging already too close to the friends zone.

Later on in the night, I'm once talking to Concert Girl and Catch 22 (after moving around, again not trying to latch onto just them) this dude joined us. I will admit I started to worry a bit. He was this fit, good looking blond guy. He had a french Parisian accent and both the girls seemed interested in hearing his every move.

I'm embarrassed to say I felt a tad threatened. I kept thinking that maybe he was the guy that catch 22 had mentioned to Concert Girl if it was to soon or not to flirt with (again I have no real proof if that was ever said or I made that up in my tipsy state in my head).

In any case, I tried not to let that bother me. However, about 20 minutes later, I noticed the hot french blond making out with another guy just over Catch 22's shoulder.

I'll admit I laughed out loud when I saw that.

As the party started to fizzle out, I ended up asking Concert Girl and catch 22 how they were getting home. They said they were walking and we had discovered that although we all lived in 3 different parts of My City, we were all along the same way for at least half of the walk.

All 3 of us left together with a much needed stop at a local grease spoon for some french fries.

While waiting outside in the line to get in (this place is really popular) Catch 22 said she wish she had brought a hat because she was super cold. I immediately took off my hat and placed it on her head. To my surprise, she didn't freak out and instead wore my hat the whole time ate in the restaurant.

After eating, we decided to cab instead of walk.

Since I realized the night was about to end, I kept thinking in my head what to say when we have to depart. However, I soon realized that we were at a red light and this was where I needed to get out. So I got my hat back (Catch 22 was still wearing it) and simply said something along the lines "Lets have sex sometime"

Just kidding.

What I really said was "It was nice meeting you. Have a good night".

I felt that I didn't have time to ask for any contact info and I also wasn't sure h0w to do it.

Well tonight I decided to search for her name on facebook. I overheard her telling the gay guy her last name so he could ad her on facebook and then she decided to tell me how her name is spelt differently from the obvious way you'd it would be spelled, so that made it easy.

I simply added her as a friend and left a message saying "It was nice meeting you last night. I'm glad I remembered taking back my hat because it was cold tonight!". Short and sweet I thought.

Now if she adds me as a friend, I have no idea what to do next.

Again I'm in worry mode:
-What if she isn't' over her ex-boyfriend?
-She's not Jewish, How do I feel about this?
-Did she like me?
-It's Christmas soon and she'll be busy with her family, she has no time for me.
-etc. etc.

Why can't I just be smooth like most guys and take it all with a grain of salt?

5 comments:

Elwood said...

You guys wanted me to start writing again. Well there you have it. Back with a vengance!

Famously Single said...

With a long post! Catch 22 is totally going to accept the friend request and want to hang out. I love that you didn't hover. I hate that and it shows you are interesting so other people are going to want to talk to you too. I can't wait to hear how this goes. And you need to use the sex comment soon :)

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

Good job Elwood! you need to get her number and ask her out before your in "the friend zone"...
Make that your next move. You do worry too much, but everyone does. Take it one day at a time, and you'll figure out how you feel about all those things when they come. But first you need to get a date. Thats what dating is for, to get to know one another and see if it can be more...start with a date. Keep it up Elwood!!

Trips said...

Hey Elwood! I think that you shuld definitely ask this girl to hang out sometime over facebook. I wouldn't worry so much- believe me, I don't think any guy ever feels "smooth." Also, if I am interested in a guy, I have no problem talking to him for a good part of the night. I like the attention. If I'm not interested, then I'll just make up an excuse to get away!

Dolce said...

First things first.
It was awesome that you took the initiative to FB the girl and tell her again how nice it was to meet her. When she responds (which she will) you should move in and suggest going out again soon -have a plan already in mind - actually have two. Then instead of asking everything over the internet, get her number! Girls like it when you CALL. I think that's one of the biggest problems with men lately: Texting, Instant Message, and Facebook. You still need to talk.

Secondly, she was only with the guy for 8 months. I hardly consider that a serious relationship that needs more time to heal from. A couple of months being broken up is plenty of time. Don't let that scare you away.

The holidays? Everyone wants someone special around the holidays. No one wants to be single and tell their family that they broke up with their partner and blah, blah, blah. Yeah, the holidays are hectic and no matter how fast things move, I'm sure neither of you will include each other in your holiday plans this year, but you have time off for work that you could spend together regardless.


The Jewish thing...well, I can't help you there. I'm not Jewish, I do however have LOTS of Jewish friends who married non-Jews and a lot of non-Jewish friends who married Jews. It's personal preference. Some families REALLY care, others don't. It's up to you, but at this point in life, I doubt you need to worry about it quite yet.