Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The King Of Awkward Phone Calls

I just got off the phone with Catch22 and it was a-w-k-w-a-r-d.

I'm still at work finishing up some stuff and decided now would be a good time to give her a call. It has been 3 days since we last spoke, so I figured I waited long enough.

Before I phoned her I thought to myself "wait, what is the purpose of this call? Ok... I'll see if she's free Thursday to do something".

So, the phone rang and rang and just as I was about to hang up (which I wish I did), she picked up.
Apparently I had just woke her up from a power nap. We joked around for a few minutes about it and then I think I started talking about something related and then got the sense that I just phoned her, woke her up and I'm just talking to her.

So, I asked her what she was doing Thursday and she said she may have drinks with her co-workers.

The rest just went downhill:
Elwood: " So I was just calling to see if you are free Thursday night"
Catch22: "I may be going out for drinks with my coworkers. Why is something up?"
Elwood: "No, I just was wondering if you wanted to hang out"
Catch22: "Oh... " (I can't remember word for word what she said but I know she didn't' say yes or sound excited at all).
Elwood: "Alright then, I guess I'll let you wake up"
Elwood's inner voice: "Stupid Stupid Stupid!"
Catch22: "Ok then, thanks. Talk to you soon. Bye"
Elwood: "Bye"

I know that just saying "let's hang out" is pretty vague but I figure if she was interested she would have asked what I had in mind. Also, if a girl called me and I was interested in her and I was busy the night she wanted to meet up, I'd try to meet up another time not just say no and hang up.

I may be reading into this too much (as I always do) but I just got the sense that she realized where I was going and just isn't interested.

So yeah, I don't think I'll be calling her again.

7 comments:

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

You did just fine Elwood! When i wake up I have no idea whats going on!! so she might be the same also...and if she was busy already....there isn't much you can do...but ask when she is free again? or if she'd like to go out with you on a day she is not busy, But don't beat yourself up!!! The more phone calls you make the better you'll be at them!! Keep it up!!

Trips said...

Don't sweat it Elwood. This doesn't sound awkward at all. Catch22 was probably really groggy, and you may have caught her a little off guard when you asked her what she was up to, but she already had plans. She couldn't say right after that, "oh, I'll totally break my plans!" She may not be totally sure of your interest in you either. Don't write her off yet! Try a facebook message again if you want to avoid another awkward phone call.

Elwood said...

Wow, you guys are awesome...
but yeah, suprisingly, she was comepletely alert. So the groggy theory is not applicaple. Plus I never expected her to break her plans but a) she made it sound like it wasn't a for sure thing and b) she didn't say something like "oh I'm busy thursday, but how about friday?" or something like that.

'Tis all I'm saying...

Dolce said...

You way over analyse.

1. You asked her to hangout. Your intention to to take her out and in the process "hangout with her". Instead of asking her to hang out (what are you in, high school?) Ask her out to dinner, grab drinks at a local watering-hole/wine bar (have a desination in mind with a back up if she's not into the first suggestion).

2. Call her again! Not all plans work out. I'm married and have a hard time scheduling stuff with the husband. She didn't sound uninterested, she just responded to YOU!!! -YOU could have asked her to go out Friday, but you chose not to and threw the ball in her court when it was YOU who called HER.

You're still in this game, so don't throw in the towel.

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

I SOO agree Dolce! The ball is in your court! Thats where you want it!! don't give the ball away easily!
Don't ask to "hang out" thats doesn't say anything....call her again ans ask her to do something specific!
Remember the 3 P's: Planned, Pained for, and Paired off!

Famously Single said...

Ok I know everyone else is giving you kudos but there's a rule known as the Brad Pitt Rule. For guys I guess it would be the Angelina Jolie rule. If Brad Pitt calls me and asks what I'm doing Thursday, I'm doing nothing, got it? I don't care if it's Aunt Sally's funeral or my brothers bapmitzvah, I'm free to do whatever Brad Pitt wants (actually my celeb crush is Paul Rudd, but you get the picture) I think she may not be into you.

Elwood said...

Thanks Famously Single.That's kind of how I felt. I don't expect the same reaction as if I were Brad Pitt but I could tell something was lacking, and I was right as you'll soon get to read about it.