Wednesday, January 7, 2009

You got what I need, but you say I'm just a friend

I pulled a couple of hours of overtime at work and on the way home decided to rent a movie for the night. As I pulled up to my door, my cell phone rang, and to my surprise it was Catch22.

I picked up the phone and we were chatting and joking around like everything was normal. She asked what I was up to and told her I rented a movie. I asked her the same and she said that she was waiting for her supper to be ready and then was just hanging out and probably going to get some studying done.

Now please tell me if I was wrong, but I figured since I just rented a movie, and Catch22 called me out of the blue, I invited her to come over and watch.

That's when she dropped the "I just want to be friends" bomb.

She didn't' actually say that but she said something like :
"Well... I'm kind of not into seeing anyone on a repeated basis right now.. I like to be a lone person" or something like that.

Now i"m really proud of myself here - I didn't freak out. Well to honest I had already expected it after yesterday and quite frankly just didn't care anymore, so when she said that it just didn't bother me at all.

I didn't' even apologize or deny it either which is a huge step for me. I think I just said something like "Oh I didn't mean it to sound so demanding" or something. I can't seem to remember word for word what we said.

She continued to say that she'd like to still hang out and that she wanted to know if I wanted to join her book club.

We talked for another 10 minutes until she decided to let me go eat since she herd me chewing on the phone.

So I have the impression that her original reason for calling me was to clear things up from yesterday and that when I invited her over for the movie it just confirmed her suspicions about me wanting to go on dates with her.

Rm1 and Rm2 are awesome roommates, though. They told me that she should have come over because she's missing out. Aw... best roommates ever.

Anyways, I feel like I'm growing and so what if it didn't' work out, onto #7!

2 comments:

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

She is missing out for sure!
Chalk it up to experience and you've learned so much during this process already! Practice makes perfect!!
Who's your next target?!

Famously Single said...

Oh you totally need a new target! I say do the Craigslist thing :) It's very entertaining! I'm glad you're growing through the process.