Thursday, March 19, 2009

(ill)ogical thinking?

Yesterday was St Patricks Day. Booze everywhere! WOO! Well, not for me. I work so I couldn't go out and get hammered and instead of drinking, I did a comedy show which went pretty well.

I've been really good lately and haven't really thought or cared about Wendy but the last couple of days have been tough because March 17th is her birthday making it really easy for my thoughts to wander of times past.

Two years ago, we had just started dating (about a month) and St Patty's Day was the first time I met her friends. We all ate dinner and then headed to a bar. It was packed.

I remember introducing myself to all her friends and this one guy had showed up late. So I thought I'd talk a little chit-chat:

Elwood: "Hey hows it going? Elwood"
Guy: "Hey hows it going, I'm Guy"
Elwood: "So how do you know Wendy?"
Guy: "We used to date, you?"
Elwood: "Um... we are... dating".

It was really awkward but turned out he dated her like 3 years prior to meeting him. I originally thought he was her immediate ex.

Another memorable moment was when it was down to myself, Wendy and two of her female friends at the table and a bunch of drunk guys were trying to pick them all up. At one point the girls all went to the bathroom, where one of the guys who was trying to pick up Wendy (I just sat and watched, wasn't jealous at all) turns to me and says "Is that your girl?" and it took me a second to process in my head "Yes, she really is!" and when I told him yes he was really cool about it and shook my hand and let her be when she came back. I was really surprised since this guy was 3 times my size and was acting really drunk and cocky.

Last year was even harder on St Patty's Day because I had just stopped full contact with Wendy a few days before and she still invited me to her birthday party. What's sad is I really wanted to go, but knew it was wrong to do. I knew if I'd shown up, she'd be drunk and I'd get drunk and we'd do something we'd both regret.

I feel sometimes that there were occasions since we've broken up that if I had contacted her or gone to something it would cause it to linger just a little more (like going to her birthday party) but what would have been the point?

That being said, I spent a whole day deciding if I should write on her Facebook wall and wish her a Happy Birthday. On one hand, we haven't been in contact in a long time and maybe that's good to finally lose all ties, but then I thought that there is no reason that I should be ignoring her. She didn't do anything bad to me, so I should just do it. Then I figured that she might wonder why I'm contacting her out of the blue. Then I realized she wished me a Happy Birthday on mine, so whats the big deal.

Ugh stupid brain!

In the end I did write on her wall... a day late.

--

On a related note, after the show, an audience member was asking if we knew of a place that taught comedy and I ended up chatting with her for a few minutes about the theatre I go to that gives free workshops and comedy. It took me a while until I realized how cute she was.

She asked em to write down the info and when I got a pen and paper and started writing it down, I was so tempted to include my phone number. Would that have been slimy?

1 comment:

Trips said...

I don't think it would have been. If she was interested she may have used it, otherwise it wouldn't have hurt anything! And believe me, the more time between you and an ex, the better it is. Its only been about a year, so I would definitely expect to still have feelings on dates that had meaning to the both of you.