Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The smell of desperation

My biggest fear with dating is coming across as being desperate. I will admit sometimes I do have that "desperate" vibe, however, that fear will be the death of me.

I've been in situations where I was so afraid of seeming desperate that I just wouldn't do anything at all, and 9 out of 10 times, it was all in my head and what I wanted to do would have been a natural, logical thing to do (like ask a girl out, kissing someone, saying hi, etc...)

Anyways, my smell of desperation seems to be strong lately. As I mentioned in the last post, someone messaged me from out of the blue on Plentyoffish. We'll call her Comic Book Girl (CBG). Comic Book Girl is a few years older than me, loves comics and even has a radio show gig she does on comics.

Her initial message was to the point: She thought I was cool and wanted to know more about me.

That doesn't happen often.

Throughout 2 days we ended up writing back and forth through messages. We wrote back and forth about 10 times. At first out messages were small but got larger and larger.

We got to find out a bit more about each other (what we do, where we live, some hobbies, etc.). From what read it sounded like she genuinely liked what I had to say. She even confirmed it with this line: I'm enjoying this discourse. most of the men on this site are hella dull. talk to you soon, r. :)

Since we were getting into longer messages but I was afraid it was too soon to ask to meet, I figured a nice medium would be to chat so I offered my MSN info to be added. She wrote back with a nice long message about stuff and gave me her MSN info in return.

I added her but she never added me.

She even mentioned in that message that I could e-mail her at that address as well. So I sent her a fairly sized e-mail.

No response. After having wrote back and forth over the course of 24 hours as much as we did, I figured this could not be good.

Two days past, no response.

Starting to feel desperate, I took a chance and sent her another message on Plentyoffish saying that I sent her an e-mail and got no response and that it's possible that my address came as spam (the word registered is in my address), so I pasted the whole e-mail in the message.

No response.

To be honest I'm a bit disappointed because this person sounded really cool. Comic Book Girl was also a bit older than me and I enjoyed in my head the possibilities of being with an older women in terms of sexual experience (assuming she's had more sex than I have, which isn't a hard feat since I'm a virgin...).

I wonder had I not answered her messages so quickly if it would have made a difference. Who knows, maybe she just met somoene else, or she's really busy. The nice thing about plentyoffish is that you can see if the person you sent a message has read it, not read it, read and deleted it or not even bothered opening it but deleted it right away.

CBG read my last two messages and kept them both (but erased all the others).

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

I'm playing the the idea of putting up a genuine craigslist ad.
We'll see...

No comments: