Sunday, March 22, 2009

The new age of spaming?

So the other day an ad on Craigslist caught my eye.

It was a normal ad titled something like "Seeking sweet guy" or something like that. The ad itself described someone and saying what they're looking for. It sounded a tad sketch so I used an old junk e-mail account to reply.

The next day I get a response straight in my junk from a "girl" and the e-mail sounded so real, referencing streets in My City and one of the Universities but i knew it was fake/scam because there was a link to her "Web Page" which was basically two pictures of a young person and a short story with a link to some sex personals site and how i need to sign up to contact her.

So I left it at that.

Then this morning I noticed in my junk, another e-mail from the "person" saying "haven't heard from you, did you not like my pics? I'm still up for a coffee and good conversation if u are :-)"

So I wrote back saying that I normally would if she wasn't either a) a robot b) a 40 year old guy or c) someone looking to scam someone else.

Took a shower and upon returning to my computer I received this (I replaced the real names with () . Hey I still want to be anonymous):
"hey i have an idea then, theres a cool little place its called (Cafe) on (real street name) how about we meet up and see if we click? who knows what'll happen :-) I'm really new to(My City) so hoping to meet someone super fun and sexy!! i live on (real street name) and no car, any chance u can pick me up? this is the last email i can send, I'm just at an Internet cafe .. call me soon ok? "

This is really scary! It sounds so real.

I was just curious to see what would happen, so I even wrote back "See you there". If she is a real person well then let her wait at a coffee shop all day since I nevr told her what time I'd be there.

My advice to all the peopel out there tryign to meet peope through the interenet: always do a little research before trying to meet.

Look up on google their e-mail or name in gogle and facebook. Everyone uses face book. If you can;t find them on there and google, then probably a scam.

Also as soon as someone says you need to join some website to meet them, it's also a scam.

Good luck

1 comment:

harper & beatrix said...

seriously. sign up for match. i have a link for a free week if you want it.

~b