Thursday, March 5, 2009

The tricks to online dating

I've been actively browsing online dating sites for the past 2-3 years. I was never shown how to use it, no one gave me pointers. I just started doing it and have figured out that somethings work and some don't.

It all started a while back when my friend Spider Dude let me take over his Lavalife account since he had found a girlfriend (through a real world encounter) and had some credits left.

After using Lavalife for a while, I signed up for Jdate and Yahoo Personals. All these sites are pay sites. Coincidentally, I met Wendy through JDate but I never paid because she managed to hide her e-mail address in her profile. I always had fun trying to decipher profiles to get the secret e-mail address. Nowadays, you can't get through the filters, so it' snot as fun browsing through profile after profile anymore.

Eventually I was told about Plentyoffish, which is how I met most of the dates I had this past summer. Recently, a friend pointed me towards OK Cupid!

Both of the latter sites are free sites and they do make online dating more enjoyable. However, I find on these sites that there are either:
1. Party/clubby people looking for friends or for sex
2. Spam pretending to be hot horny women
3. Very large girls with low self esteem. Nowadays, BBW is used all over the place.

This leaves a small, genuine class of people who are just too busy to meet people in the real world or have had enough with bars, clubs, parties, etc. and trying a different approach. I feel I fit best into that class (although sometimes I feel like a very large girl with low self esteem).

Recently I got a message out of the blue on POF and it quickly turned into an e-mail extravaganza over 2 days until it stopped abruptly (see last post).

However, what I didn't mention is at the same time I found another profile on Plentyoffish by someone who seemed interesting and I sent her a message. I couldn't reveal everything I do all at once, otherwise my blog would be boring!

Surprise, surprise, she wrote back to me! We'll call her Goldie.

I learned my lesson with Comic Book Girl and instead of replying right away, gave it some time. What's nice is so has Goldie.

So the questions is, now that we've each sent about 2 to 3 messages to each other, and she still finds me interesting (I can tell since she asked me more questions in her last message), when do I pop the question to meet in real life?

I decided to google search this.

According to this one site I found, if I e-mail back and forth more than 2 e-mails then it's because I'm married or attached and using my e-mail time to have a "mental affair". Well, we don't want her to think that!

I'll reply tomorrow and see if she wants to go for coffee.

4 comments:

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

My hubby and I met online, just ask her to meet for coffee! What's the harm?! You'll know now if you wan to get to know her better, and so will she!

way to go! I love your dating stories. I actually want to hook you up with a friend!

Elwood said...

Thanks for the good advice ~Mary!

Sure thing, just send her my way next time I'm in Scotland (haha).

harper & beatrix said...

yes! ask her out. i say the sooner the better, because it's a lot easier to look amazing in an email you spent two hours editing than in real life. sometimes i feel like emailing too long just means you'll be more likely to be disappointed.

good luck.

~beatrix

p.s. i'm posting about how to ask girls out today.

Dolce said...

Wish I could help you out, but I don't have a clue about online dating.

Coffee seems like a safe bet. Just a thought, wouldn't calling and talking to her be the next step before meeting?