Monday, January 23, 2012

Avoiding the awkward

b>Name: The Other NYE Girl (ONYEG)

First contact: originally met on new years eve. Grabbed a beer 3 weeks later

How'd we meet: NYE Dance party.

The situation:
My friends brought to my attention that there was another girl that looked totally into me and it seemed like we were hitting it off. Also, due to the fact that she lives in my city, I tracked her down on Facebook. I had help from a mutual friend, who encouraged me, so it's not stalking (right?).

The dealbreaker: none (so far)

First off I didn't realize how pretty she was, which made it hard for me to stop thinking it was a "date".

I know we met at a party and then arranged to have a beer but it doesn't mean insta-relationship

This is also a reason I get nervous. I feel I don't know how to act and I know the typical "be yourself". But what happens when "being yourself" IS being a nervous guy? As a performer you'd think I could be anyone I want to be, but nope, I just talk a lot and act nervous.

However, she was the one keeping it cool. It felt like she could tell I was nervous and made an effort to keep things going rather then feel awkward and want to leave.

For instance, a couple of times we ended up talking about stuff that was leading into an awkward direction and she changed the subject to something more fun to talk about. But totally in a smooth way without any feeling of "Oh god this is terrible".

At the end of the night, it was her who said she shed like to get together again sometime for a beer.

She could have just said that but it was nice doe once to hear the other person say it than me all the time.

No comments: