Monday, May 25, 2009

Craigslist for dummies

Saturday night i went out and got home at 3:00am. I wasn't really tired so I went onto Craigslist to see if there was any interesting personal ads posted.

I'm sure everyone knows what Craigslist is, but for those of you who aren't familiar with the personals section, here's a quick rundown:

Craigslist personals is like the poor mans version of plentyoffish.com (which is the poor man's version of Lavalife, I guess... since it's free). There are no profiles to fill out or questions to ask. It's basically you posting an ad of any length, saying whatever you want. You can even upload a very small picture if you want.

There are several categories: Strictly platonic, Women seek women, women seeking men, men seeking men, misc romance, casual encounters, missed connections and rants and raves.

Women seek women, women seeking men and men seeking men are quite obvious. Strictly platonic is usually people looking for friends only, activity parties or someone to buy weed from.

Misc romance, I think, is for people who are looking for something a bit out of the ordinary. I don't see many ads on there that are interesting to read but it'd mostly be stuff like people with foot fetishes or something like that.

Casual encounters seems to be filled with people looking to hook up. I'm sure most of it are scams, ads, bots, unstable people, etc. but I'm always curious as to how many are really just people who enjoy sleeping with strangers on a regular basis...

Missed connections is the most fun to check out. It's basically ads of people who may have seen someone cute on the bus or at the book store but didn't make a move. So, they write something here, hoping that that person will read it, contact them and then live happily ever after. I admit, I check tat section from time to time curiously wondering if the description of a person matches me. hey, you never know!

Finally, Rants and Raves are just people mad at the world who write all kinds of stuff they want to get off their chests. My friend Spider Dude met his first girlfriend. Of course, she ended up being crazy.

At first, I would only check the women seeking men section but nowadays I look at all the sections except men seeking men, women seeking women and rants and raves.

Back to Saturday night, I responded to 3 ads.

Lets see what happens...

No comments: