Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Typical Elwood

So as I mentioned before, I got a call from a girl last night. And, in typical Elwood fashion, I think I buggered it up already...

The back story:
I found on plentyoffish.com the profile a girl that sounded interesting. She recently moved to My City and was looking to meet to someone who could show her around and have a good time with. So I messaged her and she got back to me the next day.

We sent about 3 me sages each back and forth, learning a little bit about each other.

Her profile consists of only 1 picture that is hard to tell if she's cute or not. I don't like basing anything on pictures, especially if there is only one. So I took a chance and asked if she wanted to meet for coffee or a beer and suggested we swap numbers.

I never know how to do it "properly", but I want to show I can be a gentleman and would rather ask her for her number and make the first call then just immediately hand out my number, which is why I suggested swapping.

To my surprise, instead of giving me her number, she asked for mine. At this point, I saw it useless to not give her mine to insist I call her first, so I gave her my number. She told me she'd be busy over the weekend but would give me a call by next week.

The weekend came and went and yesterday, she called! She has a cute sounding voice.

We talked for a while. It's not that often that I"m talking to a complete stranger on the phone, trying to learn about them, so it's tough to know what to talk about.

I told her a few funny stories about stuff related to what we were talking about. Mentioned how I do improv and play guitar. She told me about how she moved around a lot as a kid and actually went to high school in My City.

We have a bit in common: We both are Jewish; we both like rock music; we both studied something at University but are working in something completely different; I'm a comedian and she dated a comedian. She's also a vegetarian, which is fine by me.

At one point, i was talking to her while grocery shopping, I took he phone away from my ear for a minute to pay the cashier. When I put the phone back to my ear, all I heard was "uh.... sorry! Bye!".

I was really confused. I thought perhaps she got nervous that I wasn't saying anything and decided to hang up. I called her back and she picked up and sounded all confused saying "Oh, I'm on the phone with my mom, I thought I told you I had her on cal waiting, and would call you back...?". I apologized and we said goodbye.

Regardless of the awkwardness, she called me back a couple of hours later and we chatted again for close to an hour.

Here's where I may have fucked things up:
I asked if she wanted to meet in person this week to which she said yes. Then, for reasons I can't understand why, I had realized I had a lot on my plate this week and told her I made a mistake and I'm busy until the weekend. This is true but I did have some time to squeeze her into my busy schedule.

She replied that she was going to be away this weekend. So I told her we'd do something next week.

We both said we have fun chatting and called it a night.

Today, I was thinking about it, and reazlied I could totally meet her for dinner tomorrow night. So, I messaged her on facebook (we added each otheron facebook and MSN and it turns out we have two mutual "friends"). I simply said I had fun on the phone and realized I could meet some food before my show .

I never got a message from her but saw her on MSN tonight. I was going to ask her about it but I got distracted in the kitchen and when I came back she was offline.

She never responded to the message on facebook or told me if she could/wants meet me or not.

I have a feeling that might be a bad thing, but she did leave the message "talk to you later" before she went offline.

Only time will tell I guess.

1 comment:

Dolce said...

I think you're safe. They awkward cashier thing was blown over by the conversation later. Sometimes the next day is just too late of notice. I'm the type who appreciates a good 48 hour in advance plans.

--A girl's got to prepare.

Tell me how it goes.