Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Slow and steady doesn't always win the race

I'm no expert but shouldn't the arrangement of a date take something like 5 minutes max?

"Hey it was nice talking to you. Do you want to meet for coffee this week?"
"Yes, what day?"
"How about Thursday?"
"Sure. What time? 6pm?"
"Works for me!"

Done! Simple as that right?

So why is it when I tried to arrange a date with the girl I talked to on thee phone recently, it took nearly an eternity!?

Over the weekend she was out of town but I saw her on MSN one morning and initiated conversation. It went something like this:

Elwood: "Hi, how're you?"
Girl: "I'm fine, you?"
Elwood: "Not bad, just woke up. Are you still out of town?"

(3 min later)

Girl: "Yeah. I'm watching Days of our lives"
Elwood: "Hey, I'm going to see a comedy show this week at the theatre I do improv at and was wondering if you'd like to go with me?"

(5 min later)

Girl: "Theoretically... I'd feel kind of awkward being around all your comedian friends"
Elwood: "Oh yeah... I can understand that, but I'm not going with my friends. There's a chance I may recognize a few people, but as of now i"m going alone and thought you might like to come"

(5 min later)

Girl: "Ok. Sounds like fun. As long as you don't mind explaining to people who I am when you don't know me, ha ha."
Elwood: "Ha. Won't be a problem. If you want we can meet up earlier so and grab a bite or something"

(3 min later)

Girl: "What time is the show? It will help me know if I have time or not to meet up earlier"
Elwood: "8pm"

(5 min later)

Girl: "Where is it?"
Elwood: "It's (describes directions to place)"

Now's the part when she should have told me if the time is good for her or not, so I waited.

And waited...

And waited...

Until:


Elwood: "So whats the consensus?"

(2 min later)

Girl: "Um... we haven't come up with one yet"

It was definitely reaching close to the 20 minute mark. Don't worry, I was keeping myself occupied with watching web videos (on this site: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com) and I didn't really have anything better to do at the time but I really wanted to get out of my PJ's and take a shower...

Finally she answered:

Girl: "Yeah I can meet you at 6pm"
Elwood: "Great"
Girl:"We can figure out more details later in the week"

Thank god since I didn't' want to spend another 30 minutes doing so.

Elwood: "I'll call you later this week"
Girl: "Cool"
Elwood: "I'm off to go shower"
Girl: "Bye"

A friend of mine told me that either she really doesn't want to go on a date with me and doesn't know how to say no, or she's retarded.

After this schlamazzle, I don't' really want to meet her anymore either, but let's see what happens...

No comments: