Saturday, May 2, 2009

I think I'm getting better at this...

Tonight I went to see my friends perform in an improv show. Before hand I met up with some people at a nearby cafe/restaurant. We hung out for a bit and then headed to the show.

While we were there I noticed a cute waitress.

The show venue was really close by so we headed there and watched my friends perform. The show was very funny and everyone decided they wanted to go for some coffee/food. So, we ended up back at the same cafe/restaurant.

I unintentionally got to chat with the cute waitress a bit. First she took my order which was a slice of cake and a milkshake. Then I found her after she took our orders to swap the cake for fries and give me my milkshake after I had eaten the food. Then I was so full I decided to cancel the milkshake all together.

Each time I made a change, I had left the table to find her and we spoke a bit more each time.

I had ordered a mint milkshake with chocolate sauce which was something I made up on the spot and was not on the menu. When I asked her to cancel it, she was kind of happy not to have to go and make it so late at night (it was probably 1am) but she was telling me how she thought that was an awesome idea. So I kept flirting with her and told her she could say she had come up with the idea if it tastes great and take all the credit if it became a huge hit at the restaurant.

After our small chat I went back to my friends and a little voice in my head was saying "You have to do something!". I hate when I hear that voice because then it makes me nervous because it's like I'm aware I want to do something and I better not fuck it up, whereas had I just not thought about it and just decided on the spot to ask someone for their number or something, then it feel less stressful.

In any case, I happen to have had a box full of freshly printed business cards for my improv group that also act as free admission passes. I just need to put on a date and initial it to make them valid. So I wrote 2 up before I went to the cash to pay.

When I got there my mind was racing about how I could give them to her in a smooth manner, but before I knew it, she had asked me if we were all in improv together. I don't know why but I was so shocked (and relieved) by that, that it took me a god 5 minutes to just say "yes" because I was debating in my mind if it was worth telling her that yes, we are but we're all from different groups and some are just students and blah blah blah. In the end I just said yes and pulled out the 2 tickets I put in my pocket and told her "as a matter of fact here are 2 free passes to a show for my group".

She liked that.

Only, we perform Tuesday and Wednesdays and I had wrote the pass for Tuesday but she works on Tuesdays. So I switched it for the Wednesday. She said "great, see you then" and gave me a finger point.

I'm never good at telling if someone is talking to me because they find me interesting or cute or it's just because they are nice or it's part of their job (i.e. being a waitress), but I felt I had nothing to lose. The only crappy thing is that I normally don't perform on Wednesday because I play floor hockey once a week and I've been missing so many games recently as it is. I know it's not such a big deal to miss another game but it's taking a huge chance because a) she may not even come and b) our show could be cancelled for lack of audience.

Don't worry I know you're probably all screaming at your computer screens right now saying "Skip your stupid hockey!".

I get you have to make sacrifices if you want to get to know cute waitresses, haha.

1 comment:

harper & beatrix said...

my actual advice would be to not totally alter your life just to wait around for a girl (cuteness aside).

but you should go back to that restaurant.

~b