Saturday, June 13, 2009

Going in reverse

Lately, I feel like not only am I having a hard time going on dates with girls i can't seem to even find any guy friends to hang out with without feeling awkward.

This week in My City, is a huge alternative theatre festival that happens every year. People from all over come to participate or watch shows in the fest.

There is a particular show I"m eager to see that close friends of mine have organized. I could go alone (and now I am going alone) but I figured it'd be fun to have someone to go with, get a few beers etc. My first friend bailed on me last minute to spend time with his family (which I totally undestand since he's in town for the purpose of visiting his family). So, I decided to call a guy I've been seeing hanging out with at the theatre lately.

I find it's just like in that movie I Love You, Man. I find it hard to move up the level from casual friend at a mutual meeting place (i.e. improv workshop, once a week) to "going out for beers" stage.

I called the guy up and it totally felt like we were talking about a date:
Elwood: "Hey man how's it going? Wild night last night?" (he actualy texted me drunk last night asking me to go for beers tonight. I was drunk as well).
Dude: "Hey man, yeah it was"
Elwood: "So hey I was wondering if you'd want to check out a show at the fetival tonight"
And the male rejectiction (or man-jection?):
Dude: "Oh well, I'm realy busy with this rehersal for a show I"m doing next week... I'll see you tomorrow at the theatre, though"
Elwood: "Alright, Man. Have a goodnight."

I believe he was sincere and he's acool guy and eventually we will probably start hanging out over the summer when he's not busy. I just find it funny how it feels like asking a guy out on a date and the same reciprical answer in involed.

Looks like Elwood is flying solo tonight.

No comments: