Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Classification

So I recently decided to start checking out online dating sites again.
There is this particular free one, plentyoffish.com that I've been checking out the past couple of day.

One thing I hate about online dating (and I guess dating in general) is how we have to classify our body type.

The website offers few choices:
Thin,
Athletic
Average
Slightly overweight
Big and tall/BBW

I'll admit there are a lot of large people on the website. Some put average, which I think it awful because I'm sorry, but you don't look average. Then there are those who write prefer not to say which is dumb because that automatically says you're ashamed to talk about your weight.

I truly admire those who list themselves as a few extra pounds. At least they are honest with themselves and not ashamed of how they look.


Now i"ll be honest, I am not really attracted to large women. It may have something to do with the fact that I"m such a skinny guy. However, I'm not only attracted to super skinny model types. I"ve been attracted to several people who are cuddly. Just because the person lists themselves as slightly overweight doesn't mean I won't consider messaging them if they have a pretty face and something interesting to say.

But it's crazy how I saw pictures of people from skinny to quite large all listing themselves as average! Do they mean the avergae skinney/middle/large person? What is average these days?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have to enter your height and weight, and then they spit out your classification based on your BMI. Except for bodybuilders, it'd probably be the most accurate.

JRM said...

Hey, El, I was out of town all week and my net access sucked. Sorry, dude.

Judging by your pic, I'd put slender for your body type. And don't apologize about what you are attracted by... knowing what you like is a start. Yeah, there'll be the occasional attraction totally out of that box, but for the most part, I do stick to my "type"(s).

Hope the finger has stopped hurting! OUCH!

Elwood said...

Welcome back JRM.

Thanks for reading my blog. I really appreciate it.

You are right, I am very skinny.

Mike - that is a good idea but then people may get a bit TOO picky. I'm skinny and find it hard enough, but if people knew HOW skinny, then they may be turned off even sooner. Although, I wouldn't want to date shallow people like anyways. A picture should make or break meeting someone!