Thursday, March 6, 2008

A little drama never hurt anyone

It's funny because although everyone would rather avoid having drama in their life, these past few days haven't been very exciting and I was wondering (maybe in a weird way hoping) something would happen involving Wendy.

And it did.

I got an invitation from her to attend her Birthday on Facebook. (On a side note, I find it hilarious how Facebook has become this huge cultural phenomenon, soon enough it will be a word in the dictionary).

Although, some people would probably say it's being obsessive, it's kind of fun to analyze things to there fullest:

-I got invited to Wendy's birthday by Wendy

-It wasn't a personal invite, but through an Events page on Facebook

-At first i thought that maybe she just invited her whole friends list but then noticed she has 300 friends and only invited 40, so my invite probably isn't an accident

-She could genuinely want me to come. I know she's known to stay close friends with her ex-boyfriends.

[Funny thing - I actually met one of her ex-boyfriends on her birthday last year. We were at a noisy bar on St Patrick's Day (that's Wendy's birthday - pretty cool) it had only been about a month that i knew Wendy and I was trying to be friendly with her friends:
Elwood - "Hey how's it going?"
Wendy's friends - "Good, I'm a little sick"
Elwood - "That's too bad. So how do you know Wendy?"
Wendy's friend - "We used to date. How do you know Wendy?"
Elwood - "Oh... that's cool... um.... we're sort of... dating... now..."
Turned out he wasn't her most recent boyfriend (phew!) but a guy she dated 3 years ago. He ended up being a really cool guy. ]

-She could be testing the waters to see if if I'd come or not, wondering what I'm thinking.

-She could just be being polite, knowing I would come under better circumstances, not expect me to come but invited me anyways to let me know I'm still welcomed.

In any case, I'm definitely not going to go.

I'm trying to make a point that we move on. Me going would just make things super awkward. All her friends will be wondering whats going on (Wendy's a pretty private person to begin with so her friends must be dying for some gossip). She may get the wrong idea. I may get the wrong idea.

Plus, she'll probably start drinking and then most likely do something she doesn't want to do like flirt with me or even try to kiss me. I'd just make things more awkward than ever. I'm not the kind of guy who would go with it and then say "oh well she's drunk, I can fool around and then go back to not seeing her again, wasn't my fault she got drunk. She wanted it!".

No I'm not like that. I'd feel too guilty.

I may be completely off, but I wouldn't be surprised if I hear from her on her birthday after a night of drinking (maybe even just a text message), but I'm probably getting way ahead of myself.

Now I a few choices on how to handle my invite. I can:
a. Reply that I'm going - obviously this isn't the answer
b. Reply that maybe I'm going - I think that's not fair. She may get the impression I have some intention of going.
c. Reply that i"m not going - I could do that but I think that may be too stern.
d. Not do anything - This is what I decided to do.

Option d leaves all doors open. This way she can think whatever she wants. It's sneaky because only I'll know the real answer, muhahaha! (man I need to get out more, haha).

Also, I'm not sure if I should even wish her a happy birthday when her day comes. Don't get me wrong, I really want to and don't have any bad will towards her it's just I don't want to come out of my exodus so soon. She may get the impression I'm ready to talk to her, which I won't be.

I really want to wait a while (probably a few months) before I try talking to her again (if I still want to by then). I just need to meet other people and go out and about before making contact because I don't want to fall back into the old trap or even worse, think I will while she's off gallivanting with a new beau.

Please, someone, anyone agree with my logic here!

2 comments:

JRM said...

El, I totally agree with your logic. No to going to the party. No response to the invite. No HBD words. YES to sanity! :)

Elwood said...

Thanks JRM!

What's an HBD word?