Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Stressed to impress

This week has been very stressful at work and it's only going to get worse. I have a big deadline for tomorrow night.

On the bright side it's been keeping my mind off of Wendy. Well actually even though we're not officially back together we've sort of been dating again.

Last night I went out for coffee and dessert with her. For the first time ever, we just talked for hours. Wendy couldn't believe how late it was.

Wendy invited me to see a Lifehouse concert. I was crossed with what to do:
pro: I really want to spend time with Wendy
con: I really hate Lifehouse

At first I agreed to go because she could have asked anyone and she told me she knows people who would love to go see them with her, but she asked me. She didn't have to and to me that shows she really likes my company.

I told her although I don't particular like Lifehouse, I'd make an effort to get into their music. So, I went onto their website and heard of few songs. After 10 minutes I decided I just can't go. I can't be bothered paying 25$ to watch a band surrounded by screaming females. I saw Bon Jovi with Wendy 2 months ago and that was bad enough (don't get me wrong, I like some Bon Jovi songs but man, being in an auditorium to watch them surrounded by screaming ladies was brutal).

To make it up to her, I invited Wendy to a concert that I want to go to for a band she knows nothing about. I even lent her a CD to help her decide.

So show of hands - is it better to go to a show you know you'll hate but be around someone you enjoy being with or bail and hang out with them some other time?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My personal opinion...you should be able to take a pass on this one and let her take one of her friends (hopefully female) with her. You can express that you'd really loved to hang out with her, but Lifehouse just isn't your speed. It's a good idea to offer to do something else with her another time.

Leigh said...

you need a girlfriend who has better taste in music!!!


just kidding.. ;)

Elwood said...

Mike -thanks for the advice. I pretty much decided that's what I'm doing.
I guess I took it one step more by asking her to come to a show that she may not like. Haha.

Leigh - She rags at me all the time for not liking her "good" music. I like TONS of different styles of music but sappy alternative rock/pop like Lifehouse, and Hedley just isn't my thing

Leigh said...

yes elwood, you have acceptable taste in music. :)

It's funny, I don't really think of myself as "counter-culture".. mostly because hipster-ism is so integrated into our lovely city (especially in my area), that I just assume it is the norm.

However, I was at a trendy hipster bar last week when a bunch of "mainstream" girls walked in and started circle-dancing and such.. the little hipster kids seemed completely distraught! and the mainstream girls were absolutely oblivious to the looks they were getting or the fact that they did not fit in. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Anyway, I'm not sure where I was going with this... except, at the risk of sounding like the pretentious music snob that I am, you cannot take seriously the nagging of people who don't indulge or explore beyond the radio waves. They simply don't know any better. And you may not be able to change her taste either.. (though I applaud you for trying!)

But don't you dare go to that concert. That is far too much money to spend on a ticket for a band you don't like. And where is your pride!

Elwood said...

I agree it is too much but not as much as the 150$ I almost spent to go see Bon Jovi with her.
Thankfully we made a deal and she paid for my ticket.